Prior to commencing this course, I thought I knew 'enough' about available technologies. These thoughts weren't because I was a technical expert, I just knew what I needed to know to function in my work and home life. I had never given any thoughts to education in a classroom setting and how it may have changed since I went to school. So, when I began this course, I entered it blindly and somewhat with blinkers on. I really thought that technology for students didn't stretch beyond utilising the internet to source information and perhaps using PowerPoint in the classroom.
I am so impressed to say that I was so wrong about the above. Since beginning the Graduate Diploma of Learning and Teaching (GDLT), in particular ICT's for Learning Design, I can honestly say my eyes and mind are now wide open. I have a passion to teach and a stronger passion to do it in ways that most other existing teachers don't do. I want to engage students in their learning with the available technology and challenge myself to continually grow and learn with my students.
Having this passion and new found awareness of available ICT's enables me to encourage and facilitate Student Centred Learning and Active Learning. Dale's Cone demonstrates active learning with the most beneficial and effective method on the bottom - ensuring learning is purposeful with hands on type experiences.
It is vital for me to keep up to date with new technologies to ensure I facilitate appropriate learning opportunities to my students. I need to continually ask myself Lynch's Learning Management Questions to professionally grow and check to see if I am providing the best learning opportunities and outcomes for my students.
It is essential that students have the opportunity to engage in meaningful, authentic tasks that involves interaction with their peers and possibly the wider community (Kearsley & Shneiderman, 1999). Kearsley and Shneiderman (1999) also note the importance of providing student activities that involve creation, problem-solving, decision-making, reasoning and evaluation. I believe that by utilising this method, we are providing our students with the foundations and framework to enable them to learn and adapt to new environments throughout their lives.
Furthermore, it is my responsibility as a teacher to embrace the Dimensions of Learning (DoL) Framework. The DoL is an evidence-based framework for designing pedagogical interventions and obtaining successful outcomes for students.
An area that I personally need to improve on is electronic communication for professional growth. I have struggled with the concept from the beginning. I have a reluctance to share my thoughts on topics that I am not confident in. Whilst I understand that these conversations are vital for professional growth, I have a reluctance to put it out there electronically for all to see. I much prefer to have discussions face to face and have had numerous professional conversations with my peers at lectures, my lecturers and my mentor teachers at school, a format which I feel more comfortable and confident with.
Through engaging in the courseware, I have been exposed to a vast array of ICT's. Although sometimes challenging and frustrating, I have demonstrated my ability to learn in this ever changing technology world that we live in. I have found many ICT's that I can begin using in the classroom now and feel confident that with more experience in teaching, I will find new ways to utilise all of the ICT's covered.
I particularly enjoyed Flickr & Picnik and I can see how much fun students would have working on projects that involve these websites or something similar. I also enjoyed WIKI - Wet Paint as I can clearly see how students can utilise these resources to contribute, with information being stored in a common location, allowing changes to be made by all who have access.
Mahara is a fantastic ePortfolio tool. This central storage component eliminates the risk of items becoming lost as mentioned in my blog. It is accessible in and out of school and teachers can also have access to mark assignments etc. I plan on continuing to use my mahara site to keep some personal professional information along with professional resources.
Voki's have opened up a whole new world for me. I am planning on utilising voki's in the classroom to introduce certain topics and I have also discussed with my mentor teacher about getting the students to each research a particular 'germ' and have their voki give the class a small presentation. Voki's have also given me some ideas on how to introduce education in my current occupation.
Powerpoint is the one item that I was familiar with prior to this course and I am confident with. It allows education to occur through a variety of methods. Music, animations and audio files can be added to the presentation for a greater effect, assisting in engaging learners.
YouTube & TeacherTube along with INCOMPETECH are wonderful resources. They provide teachers with so much variety in delivering education. My mentor teacher is continually providing the science classes with YouTube videos and generally they ask to see them again. The students have appeared most engaged in the video's that contain music that is relevant to them. These resources are instant and often have the ability to say more in a shorter period of time, with more impact than if you were to stand at the front of the class and just talk.
After just a short time of engaging in this subject, I was genuinely impressed that education, as a whole, is recognising that students need more than what was previously offered in the old school 'chalk and talk' era. We can clearly no longer rely on this method alone and need to be prepared to always think outside the box as to how we can capture the hearts and minds of our students. We need to be innovative teachers that are prepared to be lifelong learners so we can impart our knowledge to our students. It is essential that we equip the students of today to take initiative, have good problem-solving skills, an openness to change and an ability to be creative so they can be the best that they can be throughout their lives (Houghton & Sheehan, 2000).
Reference List
Active Learning Online
http://www.acu.edu/cte/activelearning/focus.htm
Dimensions of Learning Framework
http://moodle.cqu.edu.au/mod/resource/view.php?id=44474
Houghton, J. and Sheehan, P. (2000). A Primer on the Knowledge Ecomony, Victoria University. Retriveved from CQUniversity e-course, EDED20491 ECT's for Learning Design, http://e-courses.cqu.edu.au
Kearsley, G., & Shneiderman, B. (1999). Engagement Theory: A framework for technology-based teaching and learning. Retrieved from CQUniversity e-course, EDED20491 ICT's for Learning Design, http://e-courses.cqu.edu.au
Lynch's Learning Management Quesitons
http://www.slideshare.net/Scot.Aldred/learning-design-1103898
O'Neill, G., Moore, S., and Mcmullin, B. (2005). 'Student-Centred Learning: What does it mean for students and lecturers?', Emerging Issues in the Practice of University Learning and Teaching, viewed 12 May 2010, http://www.aishe.org/readings/2005-1/oneill-mcmahon-Tues_19th_Oct_SCL.html
The Albiene Christian University Adams Center for Teaching Excellence. (2000). Why use active learning? Retrieved from http://www.acu.edu/cte/activelearning/whyuseal2.htm
Search This Blog
Thursday, May 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment