I found the video in week 6 quite amusing. I felt like the script was written about me - well, at least the way I used to be.......
I was one of those who fell into the 'trap' when I first began using PowerPoint (ppt) in my current job. Because it was new technology back then, I was so excited about the chance to finally have an educational tool that (I thought) would engage the audience and keep them captivated and interested with my topic through my inclusion of ever changing animations and screen changes. From recollection, I think I used every possible feature available in every presentation the first few times...... Whilst my animations, variety of screen changes and noise effects probably did assist in keeping the participants awake, I don't think it necessarily made the audience concentrate on the topic being discussed. If anything, I think it was too 'busy'.
When I reflect on the video again, initially I was also 'one of those' who put loads of words into each slide. I think the biggest reason for this initially was that I personally lacked confidence in the topic I was presenting and secondly I lacked confidence with public speaking and the 'words' on the screen was my security blanket.
Over the years, I have re-written and revised presentations and feel that I now create presentations with a good balance. I don't load up my pages with loads of information or animation - just prompts on the topics being discussed and the odd picture to brighten things up a little.
I think it's important to find a balance between words and animations that keeps the audience engaged and focused on the given topic. I think it's also important to remember that we need to keep revisiting old presentations prior to delivering them again to assess if there is any room for improvement or changes to best practice.
Below is a presentation that I developed for work purposes a while ago. The moving animation has been lost somehow in the upload but the other content is all still there. This presentation was created for an Infection Control workshop I ran for an audience of clinical staff who have a keen interest in the field. I utilised a variety of real life pictures and comic pictures in this presentation to cater for different learning styles. Some components of this presentation is also quite wordy, however given the nature and complexity of some of the topics, it was very necessary to allow me to talk to each dot point and encourage group discussion on how it was currently being done and where we needed to move toward.
I believe I utilised the Engagement Theory, as participants were meaningfully engaged in learning through interaction with their peers on worthwhile tasks (Kearsley & Schneiderman, 1999). I also believe I utilised the Active Learning Theory, as participants were encouraged to discuss and problem solve current ill work practices and come up with interventions of how we could change and aline with best practice (Bonwell & Eison, 1991).
I was one of those who fell into the 'trap' when I first began using PowerPoint (ppt) in my current job. Because it was new technology back then, I was so excited about the chance to finally have an educational tool that (I thought) would engage the audience and keep them captivated and interested with my topic through my inclusion of ever changing animations and screen changes. From recollection, I think I used every possible feature available in every presentation the first few times...... Whilst my animations, variety of screen changes and noise effects probably did assist in keeping the participants awake, I don't think it necessarily made the audience concentrate on the topic being discussed. If anything, I think it was too 'busy'.
When I reflect on the video again, initially I was also 'one of those' who put loads of words into each slide. I think the biggest reason for this initially was that I personally lacked confidence in the topic I was presenting and secondly I lacked confidence with public speaking and the 'words' on the screen was my security blanket.
Over the years, I have re-written and revised presentations and feel that I now create presentations with a good balance. I don't load up my pages with loads of information or animation - just prompts on the topics being discussed and the odd picture to brighten things up a little.
I think it's important to find a balance between words and animations that keeps the audience engaged and focused on the given topic. I think it's also important to remember that we need to keep revisiting old presentations prior to delivering them again to assess if there is any room for improvement or changes to best practice.
Below is a presentation that I developed for work purposes a while ago. The moving animation has been lost somehow in the upload but the other content is all still there. This presentation was created for an Infection Control workshop I ran for an audience of clinical staff who have a keen interest in the field. I utilised a variety of real life pictures and comic pictures in this presentation to cater for different learning styles. Some components of this presentation is also quite wordy, however given the nature and complexity of some of the topics, it was very necessary to allow me to talk to each dot point and encourage group discussion on how it was currently being done and where we needed to move toward.
I believe I utilised the Engagement Theory, as participants were meaningfully engaged in learning through interaction with their peers on worthwhile tasks (Kearsley & Schneiderman, 1999). I also believe I utilised the Active Learning Theory, as participants were encouraged to discuss and problem solve current ill work practices and come up with interventions of how we could change and aline with best practice (Bonwell & Eison, 1991).
Workshop
View more presentations from gueste879bdc.
Unfortunately I don't have any capability at present to create audio for my slideshow, however this has given me an idea to pursue this in my current occupation. I need to devise an educational tool that caters for all educational and literacy levels. Consequently, after engaging in week 7 courseware, I have decided that placing audio with the current method of ppt presentation and self directed learning package would alleviate many problems. I have discussed this with my manager who advised that she will look into purchasing a microphone for our unit. I will be sure to blog my progress during my creation.
Reference List
Bonwell, C & Eison, J 1991, 'Active Learning: Creating Excitement in the Classroom', ERIC Digest, viewed 8 May, 2010, http://www.ntlf.com/html/lib/bib/91-9dig.htm
Kearsley, G., & Shneiderman, B. (1999). Engagement Theory: A framework for technology-based teaching and learning. Retrieved from CQUniversity e-course, EDED20491 ICT's for Learning Design, http://e-courses.cqu.edu.au
Unfortunately I don't have any capability at present to create audio for my slideshow, however this has given me an idea to pursue this in my current occupation. I need to devise an educational tool that caters for all educational and literacy levels. Consequently, after engaging in week 7 courseware, I have decided that placing audio with the current method of ppt presentation and self directed learning package would alleviate many problems. I have discussed this with my manager who advised that she will look into purchasing a microphone for our unit. I will be sure to blog my progress during my creation.
Reference List
Bonwell, C & Eison, J 1991, 'Active Learning: Creating Excitement in the Classroom', ERIC Digest, viewed 8 May, 2010, http://www.ntlf.com/html/lib/bib/91-9dig.htm
Kearsley, G., & Shneiderman, B. (1999). Engagement Theory: A framework for technology-based teaching and learning. Retrieved from CQUniversity e-course, EDED20491 ICT's for Learning Design, http://e-courses.cqu.edu.au

No comments:
Post a Comment